A question about privacy

by Mikadiggo - opened

Hello, when I have a chat with an Assistant, and then click on the icon that says "Share this conversation" in the bottom right corner, a link is copied to my clipboard. If I open this link, I will get to a page with my chat (and I cannot delete this page). Here is an example:
https://huggingface.co/chat/conversation/6Oq1DdF

My question now is if chats
a) are not accessible to anyone but me me in any way until I click on the link in question
b) or if chats are in principle accessible to everyone and only private insofar as the corresponding URLs are not automatically being published.

One should also consider that the variable part of such an URL is quite short, consisting of seven characters in the example above. If b) were true, this would enable snoopy eyes to systematically test many URLs to find some published chats.

I have to admit the the communication on HuggingFace is highly confusing to me and that I have no idea how and where to ask a simple question like the one above. Would I have to create a "Space" first or join one existing which is not "paused"? (What does "paused" mean in this context anyway as I am able to post on a "paused" space?) If so, which one? (I did not find any which seemed to be appropriate for my question.)

Is there any simple option to ask a question so people will see it? Does anyone see this present "thread" (if this is the correct word)?

I see the thread, it says "Who is currently the head of state of the United Kingdom?"

I have to admit the the communication on HuggingFace is highly confusing to me and that I have no idea how and where to ask a simple question like the one above. Would I have to create a "Space" first or join one existing which is not "paused"? (What does "paused" mean in this context anyway as I am able to post on a "paused" space?) If so, which one? (I did not find any which seemed to be appropriate for my question.)

Is there any simple option to ask a question so people will see it? Does anyone see this present "thread" (if this is the correct word)?

To access it, you can go to huggingface.co/chat.

Hugging Chat org

To answer your questions, chats are private until you click the share button at which point a public copy of that chat is made with a shortened URL you can use for sharing. But all your chats are private until you click the button.

We've added a placeholder on the space to avoid confusion, but indeed you should use http://huggingface.co/chat for HuggingChat.

nsarrazin changed discussion status to closed

Thank you for your comments and thank you, nsarrzin, for the clarification!